Notc:Attempt FIVE questions in all, including QUESTION NO. 8 which is COMPULSORY. Select at least ONE question from each of the SECTIONS -1, H and HI. All questions carry EQUAL marks. Illustrate your answer with diagrams and sketches wherever necessary. Answer-should be neat, clean and to the point. Avoid unnecessary details but record facts and any assumptions made. -;
1. (a) What is the BIOS and what functions are preformed by it?. ' (10)
(b) What is Virtual Memory and how many ways it is implemented? In this context describe some three process scheduling techniques? (10)
2. (a) What do you mean by a linear system? Give an example of it.
Explain how Gaussian elimination algorithm can be used to solve a linear system of equations? Why this algorithm is suitable for parallelization? ' (10) (b) ' Explain various addressing modes of instructions with examples. What is the process control Block and what are its functions. (10)
3. (a) What factors would you consider if you are asked to
design, a LAN from scratch? Assume that all Hardware
requirements can be. satisfied appropriately. (10)
(b) What is the basic difference between a Switch and a
4. (a) How the complexity of, an algorithm is-measurcd?
Define and explain Greedy Algorithms. (10)
(b) Discuss various types of team structure that can be formed for software development, Also explain briefly why the feasibility of producing quality software is' reduced if project risk is great. (10)
5 (a) Provide three examples of fourth generation Software Engineering technique, Explain COCOMO model for software estimation; Discuss your perception of ideal training send background for a system analyst.
(b) Differentiate between the parameter passing paradigm "calls by value" and "call by reference". Also find out the result of the following expressions. Execute each expression independently.
int a = 40. b = -8, c = 2, p * 9, q = 4, p= 12, x 5, >= 10
(a) x + =!(!x)*!!yc
(b) p = q + + %-q++
(c) x = (a% b> ?(a% c> 0 ? 3 ! 4 ): ( b> c ? 5 ! 6)
(e) x = P + + --q + + + h
(a) Describe various 2D-taransformations and represent them in normal form. (10)
(b) Explain the concept of ODBC, with the help of an architectural diagram.
What problems are caused by data redundancies? Can data redundancies be completely eliminated when the database, approach is used? Why or why not? (10) .
7--(a) Define 3NF, BCNF. Give an example of a relation in 3NF but not in BCNF. Transform that relation in BCNF. What arc checkpoints? Where they are used? Why? (10)
(b) With the help of appropriate diagram explain the CG! programming environment in detail. Write a CG! based Peri script that keeps track of the number of visitors to the home page of a certain site. (10)
8--(a) Write only True or False in the Answer Book. Do not reproduce the question. (1x10)
(1) A feature of an operating system that allows more than one program to run simultaneously is called Multitasking.
(2) A trackball operates like a joystick on its back. It is extremely useful when there isn't enough space to use a mouse,
(3) Digitizing Tablet is a'special Input device that is mainly used to digitize vector-oriented design or pictures.
(4) Dedicated line is a high speed cable line that is not permanently wired into the internet.
(5) A Router is a network device that helps LANs and WANs achieve interoperability and connectivity and thai can link LANs that have different netwoik topdldgies, such as Ethernet and Token Ring.
(6) Internet Protocol is a routable protocol in the backbone that is responsible for IP addressing, routing, and the fragmentation and reassembly of IP packets.
(7) Telnet is an Internet connection that enables a user to terminate an active connection with a computer at a retoete site.
(8) ESD stands for Electronic Static Distance.
(9) IRQ is Interrupt Request.
(10) Copyright computer programs made available on
trial basis are called shareware.
(b) Please choose^he most appropriate answer from the given set of answers. . (.1x5)
(11) What is the long form of 'CMOS'?
(a) Complimentary Metal Oxide Semiconductor V
(b) Complex Metal Oxide Semiconductor
(c) Controller Metal Oxide Semiconductor
(d) Complimentary Metal Oxide Sets.
(12) What is a Y-Connector? '
(a) A'Y-Shaped splitter cable that divides a source input into two output signals.
(b) A Y-Shaped splitter connector that divides a source input into two output signals.
(c) A Y-Shaped splitter card that divides'a source input into two output signals.
(d) None of the above. (]?') What do you mean by IBM-Compatible'?
fn) A computer that has a processor that is
compatible vvith the original IBM PC. (M A computer that has a processor that is similar
to original IBM PC (cm A computer that has a casing that is similar
original IBM PC. (d) None of the above
(14) What do you mean by "virtual? Select'all that apply:
(a) In general, it distinguishes something that is merely conceptual from something that has physical reality,
(b) Real (c) Not real. (d) None of the above
(15) Select correct statement describing a term 'stateless'?
(a) Having all information about what occurred previously
(b) Having some information aboot what occurred previously
(c) Having no information about what occurred previously
(d) Having new information about what occurred
previously (c) Write short answers to the following: (5)
(17) Polymorphism in OOPS
(19) Business management and IT.
EXAMINATION, 2004 COMPUTER SCIENCE.
TIME ALLOWED: THREE HOURS MAXIMUM MARKS: 100
NOTE:Attempt FIVE questions in all, including QUESTION No.8 which is COMPULSORY. Select at least ONE question from each of the SECTIONS-I, II and III. All, questions cany EQUAL marks.
1-(a) Explain the two strategic technologies to make the computer speedier; RISC and Parallel Processing. Hence also differentiate between RISC and CISC.(10)
(b) Discuss the sequential, indexed^ and direct data organization. (10)
2-(a) Explain, shortly, different file management systems.(10)
(b) Define and explain the Interleaved Processing Techniques. (10)
3-(a) Which are different tools to handle WAN traffic ? Explain them. (10)
(b) What are communication protocols? Define Full Duplex and Synchronous Transmissions.(10)
4-(a) Suppose that a non-negat*'ve weight w(e) is associated with each edge in an undirected graph G = (V, E), give an efficient algorithm to find an acyclic subset of E of total maximum weight. (10)
(b) How can the number of strongly connected components of a graph change if a new edge is added? (10)
5-(a) Differentiate between Object Oriented Programming and Procedural Programming. Also explain the concept of Abstraction in OOP. (10)
(b) Data-flow diagrams are means of documenting end-to-end data flow through a system;
6-(a) What is the difference between a data entity in first normal form (Inf) and second normal from (2NF)? Give an example of an entity in INF and show its conversion to 2NF. (10)
(b) List and briefly describe the three table operations used to manipulate relational tables. (10)
7-(a) What is Polygon Mesh Representation? Give at least two examples of polygon modeling strategies.(10)
(b) What are the tools to develop web pages in dynamic contents? (10)
(A) Write the terms, on your answer book, for whom the following abbreviations stand for:
(i) DML (ii) EDI (Hi) OLE
(iv) SDLS . " ' (v) RAID
(B) Please choose the most appropriate answer from the
given set of options about all the following given
(i) When all access and processing is done in one location, a computer system is said to be (a) networked (b) distributed (c) centralized (d) linked
(ii) Tools to change PROM chips, called (a) chip kits (b) RAM
(c) PROM burners (d) none of
(iii) The type of modulation that changes the height of the single is called (a) frequency (b) * phase (c) amplitude (d) prophase
(iv) A connection for similar network:
(a) satellite (b) bridge (c) gateway (d) fax
(v) The technology whereby part of the program is stored on disk and is brought into memory for execution as needed is called
(a) memory allocation
(b) virtual storage
(d) prioritized memory
..• v '' (5)
(C) Write '"True" or "False" in your answer book about the following statements:
(i) Application software may be either custom or packaged.
(ii) RISC technology uses more instructions than traditional computers.
(iii) A ring network has no central host computer.
(iv) Satellites use line-of-sight transmission.
(v) Time-sharing is both event-driven and time-driven.
(D) Write short answer to the following:
(i) Modularity • (ii) Teinet (iii) Cache Memory (iv) Applet (v) Function Overloading
TIME ALLOWED- 3 HOURS MAXIMUM MARKS 100
NOTE:1.Attempt FIVE questions in all, including question No.8, which is compulsory. There should be at least ONE question from each section. All questions carry equal marks.
2 Illustrate your answers with diagrams and sketches where ever necessary.
3 Answers should be neat, clean and to the point. Avoid unnecessary details but record facts and any assumptions made.
SECTION - A
1.a. Illustrate the basic computer architecture and define the functions of its main components. . . , (10)
b. Describe in detail the memory types used in computers. How data and instructions are communicated to and from the computer memory. (10)
2. a. Define the operating system and its functions. List different operating systems available in the market. (10)
b. Why scheduling is necessary in operating systems? Briefly describe various
scheduling policies. (10)
3. a. Illustrate a simple LAN model showing major LAN components and their functions. What types of changes need to be made in such a model if the speed of data communication is to be increased. (10)
b. Describe ISO reference Model. Explain at which layers, the TCP/IP works. (10)
4. Write a simple program in C/C++ to calculate the marks of each student appearing in this paper. The marks must be identified for each section (A,B ...), question (1,2,...) and part of the question (a, b, etc.). The program must calculate the total marks obtained subject to following conditions: 20
1) Only five questions are attempted. Student must attempt a compulsory question and at least one question from each section. Marks of one question will not be counted if no question is attempted from any one section.
2) All questions carry equal (20) marks each. All marks are equally divided in
3) There is no negative marking. Student must not get more than maximum marks allotted to the question attempted.
5. a. Describe the difference between a queue and a stack. How these are handled in a C/C++ program. Describe various situations in which you will use stack instead of queue. (10)
b. Briefly contrast various Software Development Life Cycle models and discuss
their effectiveness in appropriate situations. (10)
6. a. Define a data model. Describe various sets of information this model provides. Critically examine, which information (with respect to program development) is not described by the data model alone. (10)
b. A Relational model is commonly used database model. What are essential
characteristics of the Relational Model? and Why do we use normalization? (10)
7. a. Briefly contrast the uses of HTML, CGI, PERL, JAVA Applets in web page design. Where and when will you prefer to use these? (10)
b. What is meant by windowing and clipping operations? Describe the clipping techniques with examples. (10)
8. a. Identify TRUE and FALSE statements. (10)
1.Application program instructions are loaded in the main memory just before execution (True/False)
2. ALU performs control tasks. (True/False)
3. Paging operation in operating system is performed to allot page numbers to different chunks of data to be processed. (True/False)
4. The Basic difference between WAN and LAN is speed of data communication and not the size of data. (True/False)
5. Inheritance and Polymorphism are two essential properties considered in Object Oriented Programming. (True/False)
6. Tree structure will have more paths with the large size of same data. (True/False)
7. Object Oriented Methods use data and processes (on that data) defined as a single entity. (True/False)
8. E-R model also defines the minimum and maximum values in each relationship of data entities. (True/False)
9. Structured models do not use data model. (True/False)
10. Scanning is a process to convert hard copy of the computer files. (True/False)
b. Please choose the most appropriate answer from the given set of answers to fill the Blanks. (10)
1. During the program execution, temporary/intermediate values are stored in
(a) Registers (b) Peripherals (c) LAN (d) None of these
2. The objects can be inherited by ____________
(a) A Single Object only (b) Multiple Objects (c) Both (a) and (b) (d) Either (a) or (b)
3. The operating system may perform ______________ operation to manage the memory while running a large program.
(a) Sorting (b) Scheduling (c) Paging (d) None of these
4. When the LAN is arranged in such a way that each computer is connected directly to the HUB the configuration can be termed as ________ network.
(a) Bus (b) Star (c) Ring (d) None of these
5. To communicate with other computers over a telephone line the computer must have ___________ installed.
(a) Telephone set (b) Modem (c) LAN Card (d) None of these
6. When each item of data in a database is directly linked with every other item of data, the database is called . database.
(a) Relational (b) Hierarchical (c) Network (d) None of these
7. _______________ is the most efficient method to reduce the duplication of data.
(a) Duplication (b) Normalization (c) Empty fields (d) All of these
8,. The __________ operation changes the coordinate values of objects being displayed.
(a) Transformation (b) Windowing (c) Both (a) and (b) (d) None of these
9. A linear sequential software development model is also referred to as
(a) Prototype Model (b) RAD Model (c) Spiral Model (d) None of these
(a) Data Flow (b) Entity Relationship (c) Control Flow (d) None of these.